Browns sporting goods robbery 1973

jamysteid Member Photo

Clipped by jamysteid

Browns sporting goods robbery 1973 - Gunmen invade school-one shot, two captured...
Gunmen invade school-one shot, two captured PEORIA, 111. (UPI) - Three gunmen held 121 grade school children hostage Tuesday until police killed one gunman and the two others surrendered without harming their captives. None of the children or teachers was hurt during the two-hour ordeal at St. Cecelia's Catholic school in this central Illinois community. The three men, robbery suspects armed with high-powered rifles and almost a dozen pistols, burst into the school in mid-afternoon, holding guns on one class of 24 students and two teachers. The two men in custody were identified as Robert Punches and Eddie Blake. First on scene Peoria Police Chief Robert Latham said about 121 students were in the school when the robbers entered, and most of them remained inside during the two hours. The gunmen herded as many of the children as, they could into two classrooms, he said1. Sgt. Don Davis, the first policeman on the scene, said he was fired on from the basement of the two-story school. Davis said he went to the school in response to a call about a man with a gun and found an automobile matching the description of the one used in a robbery parked outside the basement door. More than 50 police arrived at the scene and attempted to enter the building, but retreated under a volley of gunfire. One of the gunmen, Melvin Burch, 25, emerged from the school with a child hostage. Peoria Journal Star photographer Ken Kilcy, who was on the scene, said Burch held his left hand on the boy's shoulder and a pistol in his right hand. Kiley said Burch fired two shots into the air. The youngster ran. Burch shouted, "kill me, kill me, kill me," and police did. An official of the local Community Action Agency entered the school and attempted to talk the gunmen into surrender. They were taken into police custody shortly before 4 p.m. Armed to teeth The children, all shaken and some hysterical, were greeted by teary-eyed parents who flocked to the school as soon as police lifted a four-block cordon. One child was treated at St. Francis Hospital for an epileptic seizure. Three others were taken there for observation, but were not hurt. Police said the three men may have been the same gunmen who took two high-powered rifles, 10 pistols and ammunition in a robbery at Brown's Home and Auto Shop minutes before the school was invaded. The robbers forced a stock man and a salesman to help carry the weapons to a waiting car. The shop employes got the license number and make of the car and the robbery was reported to a police station just a block away. One of the store employes reported that a woman was in the getaway car with the three robbers. WE MAY NOT WIN THE PENNANT BUT WE'LL BE CLOSE. WE WON'T BE BE ON THE BOTTOM THOUGH. THAT'S

Clipped from
  1. The Pantagraph,
  2. 02 May 1973, Wed,
  3. Page 7

jamysteid Member Photo
  • Browns sporting goods robbery 1973

    jamysteid – 10 Aug 2018

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in